Thursday, July 19, 2007

I CAN knit Lace

Lacey Bits

Ok...so I don't have the skills (yet) to do MS 3 BUT I can do Hanami. I purchased Hanami a couple of months ago and started it in some Handmaiden Sea Silk that I have. However, that Sea Silk, which is still in time out, hasn't figured out what it wants to be yet. It was very clear that it just didn't want to be Hanami. So, when I got my yarn for MS 3, I decided to order some Zephyr Wool Silk in the Lady Slipper colourway. It is turning out pretty nicely....see......







This is the first of seven of these basketweave repeats. I have had some time to try to ponder why I can knit this but not MS 3. It all has to do with concentration. MS 3 is different each row and there are few repeats. While I may be fully capable of concentrating as much as is required for me to be successful at MS3, that's not what makes knitting enjoyable for me. I like the resulting fabric/pattern. That's not enough for me. I really need to be able to enjoy the rhythm of the knit (or crochet.) It's not that what I'm working on has to be all stockinette or all double crochet (although there is nothing more fun than stockinette in the round.....my favorite.) but I want to have enough freedom when I'm knitting or crocheting to be social. Some of my projects have been joyful because of their routine - see the Log Cabin Throw....some have been enjoyable for their rhythm and pattern.....see the Lily Chin Lace Dress......some have been fun because of the knitting challenge.......see Goddess and those damn short rows........it's all a process.

Misty's Oblivious

This is the picture of a cat who refuses to listen when I tell her that in another 48 hours there will be another cat in the house and we are moving. She just doesn't seem to care....go figure.

1 comment:

into my 60s said...

Yeah!! That is fantastic lace!!!!