Saturday, October 21, 2006

How Many Times Can You Rip Out Your Knitting?

I have this beautiful Handmaiden Sea Silk yarn that I bought a few months ago. It is incredibly beautiful and soft. I know that I want to use it to make a wrap for me to use at the office when it gets a little chilly. My problem is that the yarn is soooooo beautiful with a miltitude of incredible colors that I can't find the right pattern for it. First, I thought I would use the pattern that came with it. It's a lovely pattern and it would be beautiful however, it used both balls of yarn at once and I had to keep trying to remember to to the other end of the row and knit again. For someone who has trouble counting a pattern repeat off 4 stitches, this was a definite challenge. Then I decided I would do a horseshoe lace pattern. The problem wiht this was that I couldn't see the pattern really well because the varigations in the yarn are incredible and the pattern got lost in it. Then after talking to my sister (the most amazing knitter) I decided to do a simple open pattern. I thought, hmmmm, that yarn over, knit two together would be nice. Well, being the novice that I am, I didn't realize that I needed to yo K2tog on every row, so I purled back on the wrong side row. This created a very lovely but trapezoidal shaped wrap. I was not happy. So, I tried a couple of other types of stitches K1 YO P2tog K1, which was lovely but a bear to knit back when I made the inevitable mistake. I tried going back to making a simple shawl which was okay but not great. So after about 20 different tries at using this yarn, I think I am finally on my way. I'm back to the YO K2tog on EVERY row......nice and straight, a little open, simple.....very nice.

Tomorrow is the Rhinebeck Sheep and Wool Festival and my sister and I are going. I am very excited because it seems like it's a big event in the yarn world. I'll let you know how it goes.

It's been fun being in NYC although I've been a bit under the weather. I did go outside today (unlike yesterday) and it was good to get outside of the apartment. I have been laying low, trying to prevent this cold from growing into something more. I think I've got enough Advil, Halls and Dayquil to get me through.

Carry On (Can you believe Jeffrey won Project Runway??? I thought Ule was the best!)

No comments: