Saturday, February 03, 2007

I've Been Thinking....

About a lot of things lately and I thought I would just write a couple of them down.



  1. Sometimes in life you just have to face the facts. You grow up believing one thing about yourself and that image works for you over and over and over. Then, you begin to get feedback that is totally contrary to that belief. So, you tell yourself that those people don't really know you and if they did, they wouldn't think that way about you. You hold on to those beliefs because they are familiar and comfortable in their discomfort. I am at the point where I don't think I can continue to accept the perception and belief that I have held for the past xxxxx years, it is time to try on another way of thinking. It is uncomfortable and it is an unfamiliar perception of myself. The reality is that my behaviors don't have to change, just the way I perceive them (which is pretty cool.) At the same time, the revision of the perception may just open up some opportunities that my current perceptions and beliefs prevent me from taking advantage of.
  2. When I know that someone I love and care about is hurting and in a bad place, I can only do so much to help. I wish I could help more......I wish I could take the hurt away......

Okay, that's it for the heavy thinking now on to the lighter stuff..... Fried Green Beans ROCK!!!! My sister gave me a cook book from the Red Cat restaurant in NYC. They serve some tempura fried green beans there that are amazing and they put the recipe in the book.(They totally had this going on before Fridays did!) My cousin came over to watch the Superbowl and have some Fried Green Beans. I am slowly (with her help) perfecting the technique. Yesterday, we found that the time to keep them in the oil listed in the cookbook is not enough. We had to keep them in longer to get them sufficiently crunchy. The hot mustard dipping sauce is one of the most amazing sauces I've ever tasted and it's so freaking easy to make. I am trying to figure out what else it would be good with....other veggies, as a salad dressing, on pork or chicken.....mmmmmmm.

I am crocheting a shawl from Lily Chin's Couture Crochet. It's very nice and I love the subtlety of the pattern. The biggest problem with shawls or anything round for that matter, is that they get bigger as you go along. So, I have done 45 rows and you only have another 15 rows to go, my head just can't wrap itself around the fact that I'm probably only half way done. My fingers start to scream for a different pattern and I am constantly trying to think up ways to make it stop. Never the less, I must "Carry On" as Tim Gunn would say.

I bought the Spring/Summer Rowan book on Saturday. There are some very beautiful things in it.....but $40.00.......oh well, I guess it is like a book. I have spent much more money on much less in my life. There are a few things in there I would like to try. My sister gave me a bunch of Jo Sharp Kid Mohair that I would love to do something with. I have not ever liked the results of crocheting with Mohair but do love the way it looks knitted up. I will have to find the right pattern. There are a couple of possibilities in the Rowan book.

No pictures today....it's gorgeous here in Orange County.....no deep freeze or snow or rain here today. I love it.

No comments: