Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Atlanta, Florida, the French Open

How can a month go by and I not write anything. It has been a busy month but I don't think that's much of an excuse. So here's what's happening....

Party in Atlanta
This year's National Teaching Institute (AACN's annual educational conference for critical care nurses) was in Atlanta during the end of May. It was CRAZY busy before leaving California and exhausting while in Atlanta. We put on a full 6 day conference with around 7000 attendee's and over 1200 exhibitors. This is no rinky dink operation here. We take about 60% of the office staff (about 60 people) and we make it happen. It is very exhausting but it's also an incredible amount of fun. It's a time to interact with out membership as well. It was a ton of fun to reconnect with some old friends and colleagues. Some things I learned about downtown Atlanta:
  1. Centennial Olympic Park is beautiful
  2. The hotels are old and tired.
  3. There are a lot of homeless people who are not shy about crossing the street to ask you for money. (A little un-nerving for single women walking at night.)
  4. Life runs just a tad slower.
  5. Don't get the duck at Daily's restaurant
  6. Ruth's Chris steakhouse did not disappoint
  7. When the cab you get into to go to the airport has a handicap plackard hanging from the rearview mirror, hang on!
  8. The Georgia World Congress convention center is pretty easy to get around - for a convention center
  9. The Velvet Lounge at the Hardrock Cafe was a lot of fun. It was a good time trying to correctly identify the musicians in the old music videos
  10. There are hills.

Florida Visit

I flew directly to Sarasota from Atlanta for a few days of R & R post NTI. It was good to visit with Mom and just relax for a few days. I was thrilled to get back to my favorite hair stylist, McKenzie at the Met. I went to Eye of the Needle to see if I could get #6 - 24" Addi Lace circs and was told that they weren't even on the market yet.....hmmmmm what are all those sets that I have in my collection in CA that I've had for about 2 months? I guess they just haven't made it to the East Coast or at least Florida yet.

French Open

I am loving the Tennis Channel's coverage of the French Open. It really fits in nicely with my crazy sleep patterns since it broadcasts live matches starting at 3 AM. Since I get up between 4 AM and 5 AM usually, I'm in heaven. I'm sitting here watching Nadal and Moya play. Rafa Nadal just won the first set. The commentary has been very good....John McEnroe, Martina Navratilova, Thomas Blake. The tennis has been spectacular. The Nadal - Hewitt match was outstanding as was the Djokovic - Patience match. The Terre Bateau is in fine form. I love the sliding these pro's do to get to the ball on the clay. Looking forward to a good finals weekend.

Works in Progress

I'm about 2/3 done with a sweet little dress for a 9 month old coming from China to be adopted by a girl at work. It's crocheted and from the last issue of Interweave Crochet. I started to do it in Rowan Cotton but when I saw the label that said "handwash only, dry flat" that was probably not the best choice for a soon to be toddler. I switched to Lion Brand Microspun which will be easy to care for but a pain in the behind to crochet with. It is working up nicely and I can't wait to see it finished.

I'm also finally knitting up the Handmaiden Yarns SeaSilk that I've had since last fall. I have started countless projects with it and have ripped out those projects because either a.) the pattern I'm using is too intricate and get's lost in the varigation of the yarn; or b.) I can't count correctly when doing a repeat for lace. I have finally settled on a simple 8 row lace repeat that I saw on Knitty Gritty. It is as follows:

Row 1: yo k1 all the way across

Row 2: purl all the way across

Row 3: k2tog all the way across

Row 4 & 5: yo k2tog all the way across

Row 6,7 &8: knit all the way across.

The only problem I am having with this one is that when I get to the knit rows I forget how many I have done.

Have to go to work. I might be able to put some pic's in a little later.

1 comment:

into my 60s said...

I am so glad to hear from you again!! And I'm interested in your crochet news. I just relearned what little I knew about crochet, and then had some lessons from a friend in my knitting group, and now I'm kind of hooked (go ahead, groan) on the one hook thing of crochet.