Monday, April 17, 2006

Uncles, Moving Dentists and Easter


WOW!!!!! My uncle ran the Boston Marathon today and finished in a great time. I can't imagine running for four hours with twenty-some thousand of your closest running pals and being able to do anything other than fall on the ground and wait for someone to drag me to the side of the road. I think it is phenomenal that he had the drive to train and run and finish. Congratulations to YOU!!!!! YOU ROCK!! I can't wait to hear all about it.

This is my uncle who ran the
Boston Marathon today.


I know it's hard waiting to hear what my current thoughts are about moving to California. First, I AM still going. Although I occasionally have pangs of "I don't wanna we've.....I need some sugar." (shades of my cousins daughter's departure from our house a year ago.) There are some things that just hurt about leaving at the same time there are many things that are joyous about moving and starting this new adventure. I am also amazed that, for a woman who manages to make a lot of decisions every day, I keep changing my mind about things. Should I drive? Should I leave all my stuff here or take it with me? What to do? So, today's thoughts are: Fly....me AND the cat (reservations are made), ship the car, ship the stuff. I am amazingly okay with that (for now.)

I really hate going to the dentist.......I went today because I had a huge crater in my mouth. Now, what you don't know and perhaps have no real desire to know, is that I have had a crater in mouth that is large enough to store nuts for the winter, for a couple of years. The crater is the result of a third root canal on the same tooth, gone bad. Anyway, today was crown day.....another decision....do it now, wait until I get to California. Well, I voted for getting it done today. Now I've been walking around all day long ecstatic that I don't have a crater in the back of my mouth but a little concerned that I keep biting my cheek. Do you forget what to do when your teeth are partially missing? There is so much I don't know about teeth other than I like having them and hate it when they hurt. P.S. - I don't really hate the dentist, he's a nice enough guy and he puts up with my crap.

Easter was quite something this year. I have never done the whole Holy Week services at church before but I have now. I sang in the folk group this year and we sang at Holy Thursday mass (which was one of the most beautiful services I have participated in,) Good Friday services x 2 (Veneration of the cross and prayers around the cross.) They were nice. Holy Saturday x 2. One was a 2-hour Easter Vigil mass which was very nice. It was only disrupted by a young man who got a little overheated and fainted. The other folk group members didn't know I could fly off the little bleachers and down to the alter so fast. The kid was fine and it was a bit of excitement. My voice was gone by the time Saturday night rolled around but it recovered nicely by Sunday. The only problem is that I keep hearing the Litany of the Saints (which we sang beautifully) in my head on a continuous loop but I don't know all the names so I change them. I am a mess.

This is Miss Maggie, my mother's dog. I didn't really have anything to say about her but my sister told me that a blog without pictures is very boring and no one will read it.

1 comment:

into my 60s said...

Wow, you are faster than I was to get the Boston race up! And I love your writing. On the biting your cheek thing, I have a friend who just went through that, and ended up having something filed down. Isn't it fun?