Thursday, July 23, 2009

Sleep is Highly Overrated

Here it is 4:46 AM and I've been up for a half an hour. This is the third consecutive day that I've been awake at this awful hour and haven't been able to go back to sleep. I've been spending this time in the morning practicing different bind-off techniques. I am at the bottom end of my top down sweater and the pattern calls for a kitchener stitch bind off. Well, not being one to want to get overly fussy with this 200 stitch (in the round) with a big ass cable on either side...i definitely don't want to have to try to split the stitches onto 2 needles. I did give it a go on a swatch and it looked horrid. So, I've been trying different methods that I've found. Many people like Elizabeth Zimmerman's sewn bind off. It is definitely the easiest method I've found. If the goal is to stay flexible and stretchy with the bind off, this one definitely gets the job done and it looks pretty good too. Then there's the K1P1 Rib (Invisible) sewn bind off that I found in my Vogue Knitting book that is still a bit fussy but you don't have to split the stitches on to two needles. I really like the looks of this one. It too is stretchy but it has potential for a screw up about halfway through the binding off process if I don't pay attention to it. So, my 4:53 AM plan is to try another swatch using the invisible K1P1 bind off and see if I can be a bit more consistent. Then I plan to spend time this weekend just focusing on getting this sweater off the needles. Here's the cool thing though....even though I'm not going to use Kitchner stitch, I have now tried it and I understand it better. Plus in the process I have learned that there are other bind off methods that I can use and that I have tried. I can see the attraction of the EZ Sewn bind off as it is very simple and not error prone and does lay nicely. So, all this learning is good. Now I just have to forge ahead.

No comments: